Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy New Year

I hope 2009 brings you everything you need for a creative year. I'm reading the December poems over the weekend so here's a little interlude for you to enjoy.

Denmark, Kangaroo, Orange

Pick a number from one to ten. Okay, now multiply that number
by nine. You will have a two-digit number. Add those two digits.
Now subtract five from that number. Take that number and find
its corresponding letter in the alphabet (1=A, 2=B, etc.). Now
think of a country that begins with that letter. Now name an
animal that begins with the last letter of the country. Finally, name
a fruit that begins with the last letter of that animal.

Kevin Griffith
from Denmark, Kangaroo, Orange
Pearl Editions 2007

I'm sure there's a logical explanation but... it's more fun not knowing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love life

I wanted to write a poem about Denmark
but your ‘kitty cat’ jumped on my lap
reminding me
I know little more about Scandinavia then I do love.

What is love?
What is the life of love?
Can there be life after love?
Can you retain love after a love life dies?
Is there life after such a catastrophe?

I tried to peel a tangerine with my teeth.

Do you love our life, my love?
Do you need another life, another love?
Have you loved another life, and suffer this one
in silence because…

What is this life we love?
Are we keeping the soil warm for those to come?
Are the fallen keeping the soil warm for us?
Are we any different to Gods creatures?
Do they love their life? Do they love?

I nearly swallowed a pip, spat it out
an open window, setting it free so that it may grow.

Do we have free will in love?
Is our life preordained?
Are we driven purely by nature’s erg to breed?
Is that it, do we love simply to survive?

Why is this fruit so delightfully bitter?

Martin